In books, where the evolution of thought and pursuit of truth is recorded, we often come across people who lived in different times and yet they understood the true and beautiful human nature. Most importantly, though, many of them also understood the inner obstacles that every person finds on his path, preventing us from experiencing our true nature and creating a wonderful world.
Looking back the history of the understandings of human substance and beauty, we go back to Ancient Greeks. Looking ahead, it is time to understand that we need to stop being inactive and mere spectators or always blaming others, each one of us should realize this transition to our true nature. How? By acting towards achieving self-awareness! And with the aid of the modern methods leading to the experiential understanding of the self.
We selected 14 quotes by Carl Jung that we like. Enjoy them.
- The meeting of two personalities is like contact between two chemical substances: both elements are transformed by even the slightest reaction.
- Everything that irritates us about others can lead us to an understanding of ourselves.
- Don’t hold on to someone who’s leaving, otherwise you won’t meet the one who’s coming.
- If you are a gifted person, it doesn’t mean that you gained something. On the contrary, it means you have something to give back.
- Show me a sane man and I will cure him for you.
- The heaviest burden for a child is the unlived lives of its parents.
- Your vision will become clear only when you can look into your own heart. Who looks outside, dreams; who looks inside, awakes.
- Loneliness does not come from having no people around, but from being unable to communicate the things that seem important to oneself.
- What you resist, persists.
- Depression is like a woman in black. If she turns up, don’t shoo her away. Invite her in, offer her a seat, treat her like a guest and listen to what she wants to say.
- A man who has not passed through the inferno of his passions has never overcome them.
- Your perception will become clear only when you can look into your soul.
- I am not what happened to me, I am what I choose to become.
- ’’Magic’’ is just a different word to describe a psychological designation.
Carl Jung was a Swiss psychiatrist and psychoanalyst who founded analytical psychology. His interest in the human unconscious brought him close to Sigmund Freud as his disciple. It was, however, their different point of view on the nature of the unconscious and the cause of human behaviour that terminated their collaboration. Freud believed that past experience determines one’s behaviour, while Jung maintained that past experience is only one variable in determining human behaviour, the other one being future aspirations.
This perspective is apparent in his quotes listed above. Jung didn’t perceive man as a helpless victim trapped in his experiences, but as an active agent pursuing his dreams.
They both contributed greatly in the evolution of man like many others. Our generation is now called to focus on the truth, we have to combine all the pieces of knowledge that are available to us and to realize the man who is not governed by his unconscious, but who acts towards his happiness and completion with the help of advanced meditation techniques and through self awareness. Enough with studying and theories though, it is now time for action and for the experiential methods of introspection in order to develop our conscious self. As Jung stated:
15. Unless you make conscious the unconscious, it will direct your life and you will call it destiny.
Did you enjoy reading this article? Read more by clicking here: Τhematic Articles